Annons:
Tagvocabulary
Read 1376 times
Evelina
2018-07-17 16:13

10 most important Swedish words for students

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

TheLocal.se says that these ten words are need to know for students who are studying in Sweden! 

1. Akademiskt kvart - a swedish academic hour is 45 minutes, that means class starts 15 minutes after the scheduled time or ends 15 minutes before the end time. 

2. Nationer (never heard of this one myself) 

3. Legitimation - your ID  

4. Korridorfest - a party in someone's student corridor 

5. Semester - not to be confused with a study semester indication fall, spring or summer (termin in Swedish). Semester means vacation time! 

6. Swish - an app every swede uses to pay their friends back and split checks

7. Skål - Cheers!

8. Tentamen - Exam 

9. Gask - (never heard of this one either) A formal student party

10. Köttbullar - Meatballs!

Can you think of any other words that are important for students studying in Sweden? Have you heard of all of these before?

Annons:
Evelina
2018-07-17 16:13

I think they are missing the word fika!

Niklas
2018-07-17 21:24

About Nationer. It means nations and is used about student groups from different regions (cities, ”landskap”, etc) of Sweden. Stockholm's Nation, Norrlands Nation, Upplands Nation. It's ”legitimation”. Tentamen often is shorted to ”tenta”. I've never heard of an ”Akademisk kvart” at the end of a lecture. If the lecture is announced to start at 10, it starts at 10.15 to make sure that everyone is there. The purpose is to avoid interruptions when late-comers shambles in.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-07-17 21:52

Oops nice catch my computer always changes words on me!

Evelina
2018-07-17 21:54

At Stockholm university the classes always end 15 minutes early and class starts at the time on the schedule unless otherwise announced. 🙂

Niklas
2018-07-17 22:47

Wow, at The Royal Institute of Technology, Uppsala university and Umeå university it's the other way around. Is it still called an ”akademisk kvart” at the Stockholm university? In that case I don't see it filling a purpose.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: